Wealden Rehab is proud to be a key installer in many Changing Places projects.
A Changing Places facility is a combined toilet, shower and changing room for use by people with complex and multiple disabilities who require the help of up to two assistants. Standard disabled toilets do not provide changing benches or hoists. Most are too small to accommodate more than one person. Without Changing Places toilets, the person with disabilities is put at risk, and carers are forced to change the patient on a toilet floor. This is dangerous, unhygienic and undignified.
The Changing Places Standard is based on the BS8300:2009; however, the standard requirements above should not be regarded as a substitute for information included in the British Standard. For a copy of the BS8300:2009+A1:2010 Code of Practice, please visit the British Standard webshop page
Click here to see our Project Case Studies
Changing Places toilets are different to standard disabled toilets, with extra features and more space to meet these needs. Each Changing Places toilet should provide:
The right equipment:
- An XY overhead hoist system to allow the user’s assistant(s) to fit the user’s sling to the hoist and manoeuvre the person to the various items in the facility. A safe working load is needed of 200 kg.
- A mobile or fixed changing bench, height adjustable and a minimum length of 1800mm
- A hydraulic/manual or power-operated height-adjustable washbasin should be considered for provision
- In addition, a shower seat is recommended but is not compulsory.
- A publicly accessible space
- Adequate space in the changing area for the disabled person and up to two carers
- A centrally placed toilet with room either side for the carers
- A screen or curtain to allow the disabled person and carer some privacy.
A safe and clean environment:
- Wide tear off paper roll to cover the bench
- A large waste bin for disposable pads
- A non-slip floor.
With our own team of installers and a trained team of surveyors we are well able to offer the following:
We can carry out site surveys and/or provide quotations from plans, along with 2 dimensional CAD drawings showing the proposed floor plan. We are able to assist with the equipment specification to ensure that the requirements for BS8300:2009 are met, and are willing to attend site meetings to provide the best service possible.
Our Installation Department is well experienced in the running of small and large contracts alike and is well placed to cover for any warranty issues that might arise. We offer the complete fit-out package or can simply supply and install the relevant equipment for your needs whilst working alongside any other contractors on site.
Attention to detail is vital. That is why we provide full product training and are even able to return to train additional staff if required. All signage and instructions as specified in BS8300:2009 can be provided, and we can even register your new Changing Places facility online for you, creating more public awareness of your facility.
On completion your Changing Place facility will allow the venue to cater for every requirement and will be fully compliant with British Standards.
Wealden Rehab is an official supporter of the Changing Places campaign.